SharePoint is an enterprise collaborate information portal. It is Microsoft product, which can be configured to run on Intranet, Extranet and Internet sites. Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 allows users, groups of user and expertise to connect and collaborate. A SharePoint enterprise portal is merged of both SharePoint Portal and Windows SharePoint Services. It is being built upon WSS. SharePoint Server is designed for individuals, teams and projects within a medium to large company wide enterprise portal
SharePoint solves four main problems:
- As companies grow, the number of document files grow accordingly.Considering this, it is difficult to keep track of the multiplying documents and their locations. SharePoint overcomes this by allowing you to store and locate your files in a central site. Files can also be located through companywide searches of your SharePoint enterprise portal.
- Sharing work files through email is a cumbersome process. SharePoint eliminates this by allowing files to be stored in one location, allowing easy access to all team members.
- Today’s work occurs over multiple locations, whether it is in different countries, office locationsand separate departments or at your home office. SharePoint enables teams and individuals to connect and collaborate together regardless of where they are located.
- It’s difficult and time consuming to create and maintain sites. SharePoint allows anyone to create sites for use within their company’s Intranet, as they are needed, whether they are departmental sites, document libraries, meetings sites, survey sites, or discussion boards.
for more detail go for this link www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/prodinfo/what.mspx
Sharepoint 2007 for beginners
To begin with, let’s look upon some things that you do need to know before you start with theMicrosoft Product called “SharePoint”.
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0–The extensionsare built on Windows Server 2003. It provides the infrastructure for collaboration and a foundation for building Web-based applications with this versatile technology. In short, it provides the base for SharePoint Server 2007.
- SharePoint and .Net – SharePoint development stack is built upon .Net Framework 2.0 so, it pretty much uses all the .Net Framework 2.0 classes as its base classes. IT however, has its own SharePoint API model, which is commonly used for development.
- SharePoint and SQL – SharePoint uses SQL server to store the larger volume of data. Considering this to store the data required big space SQLServer.
Now let Start with the basic definition of SharePoint Server 2007 –ItsCollaboration software or a Content management Portal which effectively manage and repurpose the content to gain expand the business opportunity and value. In other words, SharePoint’s main usages are to allow various departments, groups in the company to upload,manage and share documents using SharePoint sites. In addition to sharing documents,it also allows you to create and manage web sites, use workflows and various other options to implement the business process.
SharePoint Administration – As it a server, you would definitely need to learn its administration. SharePoint has two options available for administration.
- Central admin – A website available to you immediately after you install SharePoint (and after you ran its Config wizard). This website pretty much allows you to perform and function in SharePoint like Creating\Deleting Websites, Backup\Restore Sites,Set up Users\accounts, Install Custom components and a lot more.
- Sysadm Tool – This is a command line tool available in SharePoint, which allows you to perform all the administrative tasks that you can do with Central admin site.
12 Hive – SharePoint stores a lot its Pages and resources on the file system itself for fast retrieval. These Pages or Files which make SharePoint Interface are arranged in a Folder structure which we call as 12 hive. The 12 hive gets created at location “C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\Web Server Extensions\12” when you install the SharePoint sever initially.
SharePoint Development – SharePoint is also looked upon as a development platform, since all the components in SharePoint, right from small hyperlinks tobuttonsare customizable. We can add our own links, buttons and pages in SharePoint applications using its deployment architecture.
SharePoint Object Model –
In Sharepoint Object model there are two important namespaces.
- Microsoft.Office.Server – This is a root namespace of all Office Server objects. it means all the components or services available in MS office SharePoint Server like BDC, enterprise search etc.wouldbe easily accessedthrough programmatically.
- Microsoft.SharePoint – This is the root namespace for all WSS 3.0 components. WSS 3.0 is the base platform used by Office SharePoint server.
What is SharePoint made of? – SharePoint Portal is a made of Web applications (WebSites in .Net), Site Collections (a top level Site of the Web application) Web Site Pages,Sub-sites(or child sites of Site collections),Webparts,features and more.